I’ve read all those cute Family Rules Signs to hang in your house and I like them every time I see them. They can be found all over Pinterest or as I like to call it the Land of Make Believe. We are trying to raise our kids with all those great things like saying please and thank you, hugging, playing fair, forgiving…blah, blah, blah. If we are going to teach them to be honest well then let's be honest.
This would be a much more realistic list for our house at the current time:
Our Family Rules
- Do not pee on the floor.
- Toilet paper is not a toy.
- Do not play in the dog's water bowl...it's nasty. It is for him to drink not for your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles to have a swimming party.
- Whining to the point that only dolphins can understand you is frowned upon and will not result in you getting what you want so save your energy.
- There is no arguing about bed time even if we just ate dinner and people are outside riding bikes...that's what blinds are for.
- There is no screaming when the windows are open unless you are in actual pain. HELLO...the neighbors have ears and I want them to think we are normal for as long as possible.
- We are not playing games that involve making siren or horn sounds for any longer than 20 minutes...it just makes good sense.
- You will not go to bed harboring snacks from the day.
- Laugh a lot otherwise you might cry. (this rule is really for mommy and daddy)
- Waking up at 5, 5:30 or 6am is EEEEEKKK too early!
- The limit for questions asked in one day is 254, anything over that is just crazy.
- Food should always be put in your mouth not up your nose no matter how funny you think it is.
- Objects that are not food, like the dog's tennis ball should not go into your mouth.
- The walls are not for coloring.
- The couches are not for spreading peanut better. (yes I still remember that ONE time).
- Always remember that at the end of the day no matter how crazy things get we all love each other.